What did I get myself into? That's the question rolling around today in the post-meeting haze from last night. The question, it turns out, has two parts--first: I'm really going to Belfast in a month; and second: these people are seriously funny.
Here's what I think I've gotten myself into: take a bunch of very different people--introverts and extroverts, quiet and loud, the earnest and the sarcastic, put them in a room and ask of them two things. First go to Belfast and see what God wants done there; and second, put on a fundraiser with many moving parts, one or twenty tiny complications, lines to learn, and a high sense of absurdity.
Did I mention that despite the presence of loud extroverts, the bulk of us aren't exactly thespians? Right--now you're getting the picture. Our fundraiser--a murder mystery night on October 17 (yes, I know how soon that date is...don't remind me!)--is going to be amazing. I'd like to say that the amazing part will be how we overcome those complications and absurdities and maybe even remember our lines, but you know better, don't you? That's right. You know the amazing part will be when the absurdities overtake us, when the complications cause, say, Tommy McCracken, to shockingly yell in a high-pitched voice reminiscent of a small girl, or Kat to fall over laughing as Curt affects his best southern accent.
Our murder-mystery, I think, is analogous to what we are doing, traveling to Belfast this fall. Our purpose--nebulous as it seems--is found in the nooks and crannies, the absurdities and complications. God isn't seeking our perfection, our professionalism, or even our talents. He's simply seeking us to do His will, which is so often found off the beaten path, outside our comfort zones, and almost always on our periphery.
If you're on the fence about attending this Murder Mystery Night, well, you know, deep down, you really want to go, right? I don't guarantee that justice will be served, but I'm pretty positive that absurdity shall have her say before the night is over. And that is something you want to see. Trust me.
You can find the Murder Mystery Night info on Facebook, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment