Friday, February 18, 2011

Still porn talking...

One really cool thing to come out of Porn Sunday is the continuing conversation at Beach (nightclub I'm working at) about Porn Sunday- what it was and why on earth a Christian was getting involved in talking about porn. Like I might have mentioned before, all but one of the lads I've spoken with there opened the conversation with "you making a porno?" ?!! (The other one sounded like he'd been trying not to ask but obviously cracked going "alright, what's the deal with Porn Sunday?!")

VERY cool conversations and if nothing else, it's another chance to blow apart people's understanding of what "church" and "Christian" mean. And whilst that is a verrrry slow move to make, it's a cool one and will eventually open up possibilities- not only for us, but for others too, to reach people who currently bristle and shut down because of what us Christians and religious screw-ups have done to misrepresent Christ (open in complete sincerity- not suggesting malicious intent!). Definitely having to learn to be "all things to all men so that in all possible ways [we] might save some".

For my fellow Norn Iron Christian readers- you know I'm laser-focused on a specific group that are currently not being reached. I am NOT suggesting that there are not great churches reaching lots of people and helping them grow in Jesus. Clearly there are. But many of MY friends are still going to hell and I'm NOT ok with that. And I don't for one second believe that it's their fault because they haven't come into my weird subculture of church.

6 months back here, still working at Beach and FINALLY I'm getting to have conversations about God and faith and being honest with my struggles. That even includes eg one guy telling me that in his opinion 'God is a non-existent entity created by early man to explain our place on this earth'. I didn't get all defensive. If that's the best I can do, I've already done something that guy wasn't expecting. And if that's the speed at which I have to move here, then bring it. I'm not going anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment